The Owatonna Foundation was incorporated in December 1957. One of the first community foundations in the State of Minnesota, it was established with the goal of improving the quality of life for present and future generations of Owatonna residents.
In the 55 years since, over $11 million in grants and scholarships have been disbursed. The Foundation’s first grant was to the Owatonna Hospital to outfit two rooms and provide incubators for the nursery. Today a quick look around the community reveals an abundance of capital projects supported by the Foundation including the Central Park Band Stand, the Steele County History Center, trails, scoreboards, and more.
Beyond providing financial support, The Foundation takes a strong leadership role by offering fresh perspectives on emerging community needs. When the Foundation grants funds to innovative programs it can often launch fund-raising initiatives that engage the community and jump-start a group of volunteers with energy and enthusiasm to provide the impetus for success.